Friday, November 16, 2007

Apple Pie

A couple years ago Jason came home from a friends house telling me about the best apple pie he had ever eaten in his entire life. A neighbor friend, of his friend, just happened to drop off an Apple pie one day while the guys were watching football (probably why I wasn't there). I was extremely jealous beaus I am not a baker, although I try. I can make a pumpkin pie OK, from the pumpkin pie filling in a can, where all you have to do is add a couple of ingredients, mix, and bake. Cookies, break and bake, or a roll of sugar cookie dough with thanks from Pillsbury. Boxed cake mix too. I don't understand, I can cook OK, but I'm a dits when it comes to baked goods. Or at least, I used to be.

I think back to that day when Jason came home bragging about that apple pie and I still getting jealous. I wanted him to brag about MY apple pie. I have been working on finding the right recipe for a while now. One year I tried, and it was a runny mess, and the apples weren't done all the way. Crunchy apple pie? I don't think that's the way it's supposed to be! I would have just gotten this recipe from our friends neighbor, but I didn't know her! So, I tried a few more times. One day I made one, and Jason said it was the best one I have made, but I don't know if that was saying much. Tried again, and he said it was close! Tried again, still only close but still closer, but close enough, and he ate it with a lot of enthusiasm. I thought it was pretty darned good myself. I took the crust from one recipe (nice and flaky), and kind of put a couple of different filling recipes together. Pretty darned close, I'll take it! This woman was probably making apple pies her whole life, so If I can come that close to hers, I'll take it!

We had Jason's parents over the other day for dinner, with apple pie for the dessert. This how Jason's dad came into my house: It's kind of an inside joke. He couldn't get over how good it was the last time I made it!







Besides my apple pie, we had a nice evening. We had a nice time, and I got some pictures of Grandma with the girls and a nice one of Jason with his mommy.