Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Talk

Well, things are back to normal after the Holidays. Mary and Anna both went back to yesterday. In the past Mary couldn't wait to start school no matter if it was after Summer, after Christmas break, or even just the weekend. I knew that would change sooner or later, but my fingers were crossed for later. It's not like I had to drag her out of bed or anything, but the excitement was gone. Anna, on the other hand, was very happy to go back to school. Since she only goes two days a week, it's like a treat for her, like how it was for Mary. Preschool is like that, it's fun and you get snack time, and play time, and everything is a game, even when it's learning. Kindergarten is pretty much the same only you go everyday for a half day and everyone is your friend. First grade was the coolest for Mary, she was no longer in the youngest class, you stay at school for the whole day, and what is cooler then getting to eat your lunch in school? This year Mary realizes the work that she has to do could be challenging, eating in the lunch room really isn't that cool when you have to rush, and friends start forming groups that may or may not include you. Mary came home yesterday in an awful mood, giving me attitude, yelling at Anna for looking at her, and just not acting lik my Mary. I knew something was up. When I told her that she better shape up, and there was no reason for the way she was treating her sister and I, she fessed up. I guess a group of her "friends" were talking about her behind her back, and wouldn't play with her at recess because she was weird and stupid. I asked Mary if she heard the girls saying these things, and she said no, another friend of hers told her that she heard them talking about Mary and relayed it back to Mary. I was at a lose for words, I didn't know what to say to my crying eight year old daughter, who's heart was broken into pieces. So, the best I could do was hug her and told her that everything will turn out ok. I told her that it happens when your young, one minute you are friends, the next your not, and then the next you are again. I told her that when she goes to school tomorrow she should talk to her so called friends and ask them about what her other friend said they said, and that it could all be one big misunderstanding because these things happen. Turns out, they are the best of friends today. I didn't' want to butt in too much, so I didn't ask details. She did say she questioned them and "it WAS a misunderstanding, just like you said Mommy!" We'll see what tomorrow holds.

Talk #2, my and Anna's drive to preschool. Out of the blue Anna asked me if she was going to die. I told her that everybody dies someday, but that she wouldn't until she was old. (what was I supposed to say, that it could happen any day to anyone?) Then she asked: "so Gama will die soon?" Oh my, now what was I supposed to say to that? I told her: "no, Gama still has a lot of life in her, but yes, someday Gama will die." Then she said something that broke my heart, "when I was a baby I almost died." Not a question this time, a fact. "Yes Anna, you could have died, but you didn't and now your very healthy and have a long life ahead of you." Anna: "I didn't die because I got a new liver that wasn't yucky, and you gave it to me?" Now, with tears in my eyes: "That's right Anna."

"Thank you Mommy"

No, thank you Anna, for the sweetest thank you I have ever heard. When Anna had just had her transplant, I remember trying to imagine this day. It's not like I needed a thank you, but I can't tell you how good it made me feel.