Saturday, September 10, 2005

Anna's Clinic visit

We had transplant clinic Thursday and it went well. All of Anna's labs are perfect! As I mentioned in my last journal entry, we were worried about her blood sugar level and I will explain why. In a casual conversation my mother in law and I were having I mentioned how Anna is always so thirsty all the time. My mother in law, who is an insulin dependent diabetic, told me that she feels that way when her sugar is high and that it was one of the first symptoms she had at the time she was diagnosed with diabetes. We decided to go ahead and check her sugar for the heck of it. We tested her and her blood sugar came back at 399! Normal is between 80 and 120, so this was extremely high. I thought maybe her machine tested wrong so I went ahead and tested mine and it was normal at 106. At this time I started freaking out, but since Anna was acting normally I let it go and just kept a close eye on her. An hour later we were at home, but since my downstairs neighbor is also diabetic we used her machine to test Anna again. It came back at 176 which is high, but not 399! I called Anna's pediatrician just to see what he would make of it. He asked me to check it the next morning before Anna ate or drank and since we were going to transplant clinic the in a few days to let them be aware of it. So, first thing the next morning it was only 102, and that put me at ease. Come Thursday I made Anna's liver doctors aware of it, but they didn't seem too concerned. They told me that Prograf will make blood sugar a little higher, but not 399. They took a urine sample and that came back normal too. Since diabetes runs in both Jason's and my family they are going to check her with a fasting test that measures what her average sugars are for the past three months, and then we'll go from there. We'll get that done along with her Prograf level because...drum role please....they lowered her dose yet again! Since she has done so well with the once a day dose they will keep her level even lower now. They were trying to keep it at around 3, so now they lowered her dose and they will try to keep the level at 2!!! This is very exciting news to us. I will update on how her blood sugar test comes back.

At clinic we saw Natalie., one of Anna's liver friends that also received a part of her mommy's liver 7 months ago. Anna and Natalie had fun together while we waited for the doctors. After we were done with clinic we went up to the floor to visit with another liver friend, Annika who is inpatient right now. After a little while Natalie came to visit Annika too, so they had themselves a little party! They had a good time together playing with playdough and puzzles. It was so cute to see these three amazing girls together. It was also nice for the parents to get together. Here are a few pictures of the girls.




Here is Natalie and Anna Playing in clinic
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Anna Visiting Annika in her room
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Here are all three girls playing with playdough
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This one is for you Moreena, Anna got the same cookie Anni had, she was sooo happy!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com