Sunday, July 10, 2005

Questions for Anna

Recently on Classkids someone put a post up called "Questions from kids." This women's daughter goes to school, and kids ask her many questions about her liver transplant. She went through the questions with her daughter and posted the questions and her daughters responses to them. It was really cute to read. With Anna starting preschool in the fall I wondered how she might answer these questions if kids would ask her them. I know she was too young to remember anything, but she has been told about it from us, and we try to explain things to where she would understand them. Here goes:

What is a liver transplant?
It's just a liver transplant!

Why did you get a liver transplant?
Because my tummy hurted.

Where did your liver come from?
From you, right mommy?

Why do you have scars?
Because the doctor had to take out my liver and put in my new one.

Why do you take medicine?
Because mommy gives it to me.

Can you play outside?
Yes!

Will I catch it and get sick?
Nooo!


I liked her answers. I can't remember how the subject came up, but she once asked her friend "when you had a liver transplant...?" I can't remember exactly what her question was, but it came a surprise to me. It's such a normal part of her life, she seems to think that everyone has had a liver transplant. I then explained to her that not everyone has to have a liver transplant. She understands now, and she is getting better at understanding what happened her, why it happened to her, and how much better it has made her. I pray that she will be strong when she is asked these questions by her peers, and not uncomfortable. It is so hard to be different in any way when your a kid. You would never guess by just looking at her that she was so sick at one time, so I don't think these questions will come up often, but it is bound to happen. I'm not very worried.